Sunday, August 17, 2014

LARGER THAN LIFE

I'm not sure I can capture on film the grandeur and panorama of the landscape,  nor  the emotional
reaction to some of the sights we saw today.  First stop was The Crazy Horse Memorial which was begun in 1948 and will not be finished in my lifetime.  The sculptor, Korczak Ziolkowski,  wanted to build it without government funding only private donations and admission fees.  Lakota Chief Henry Standing Bear asked him to  to do the work so that," My fellow chiefs and I would like the white man to know the red man has great heroes also".

We drove through Custer State Park which had three scenic highways each one more beautiful than the next.  The Needles Highway was incredible but hard to replica in a picture.  Glad I wasn't driving- way harder than Hurricane Mt Road.
And to top off the day, we stopped at Mt. Rushmore, thinking we would snap a few pictures and be on our way---two and a half hours later, I had 100 pictures.  The museum alone was an hour, then a walk around the grounds gave different perspectives for pictures.  Truly impressive.
The road out of the park was called the Wildlife Loop and we finally saw  the buffalo that we didn't see in Yellowstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment