Sunday, August 24, 2014

Last Leg Of Our Trip

So....... we spent two days in Ottawa because it seemed like a cool city----IT IS.  I took lots of pictures but there is no way to transfer them from my phone to computer without using the internet with  which I will be charged outrageous sums for international rates.  I turned my phone and roaming off at the border and will turn it back on again in the US.
We were enthralled with Ottawa and spent the day, 18,000 steps walking around the city's museums, cathedrals, government buildings and cute little boutique shops. (didn't have to go to the fitness room this AM--  though I did----but made up for a day in the car yesterday.)   There is a canal with 8 locks to get to the river and a greenway that runs right through the city.  In the winter the canal freezes and people skate to work (so they say) but today  it was full of boats and paddle boards and people riding the bike path or walking.  I like how when you walk up to someone to ask a question they first say hi, then bonjour- trying to gauge which  way you will go.  A few times I almost answered bonjour but after that- I have no French so never took the chance.
Not just French here- a very international city ==we heard a multitude of languages- like being in NYC.  We went to the National Art Gallery-2+ hours- very interesting- a history of Canada through it's native art to contemporary art.  For those of you in my book group or that know I am reading The Goldfinch-  thought more than once about that story while touring the museum.....
Beautiful cathedrals in the center of the city and the tours of the government buildings were interesting and informative.  It appears that Canada was not so treacherous to the indigenous tribes but it may have been revisionist history  we were reading.  A very GOOD two days here.

Pictures will follow tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment